Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Sunday, September 21, 1952: Man's Superiority Over Beast

Peanuts

I love this strip:

Lucy saying "Oh, my, yes!" in the second panel. No one says "Oh my!" anymore. It makes me want to revive it.

Snoopy's laughing poses in the last three panels show considerable visual ingenuity. The second panel there could be a counterpart for WEIRDSNOOPY. Snoopy has gone back to being small again in this strip, even though panel seven would probably read a little better if he were longer.

The funniest thing about this strip, I think, isn't Snoopy's laughing, or Charlie Brown's disgruntlement, but Lucy's silent watching of the hilarified dog. "This certainly is an odd thing that is happening to that animal. I should quietly observe the situation."

2 comments:

  1. I love the punchline too. Very Hobbes-esque whereupon CB is narrating Snoopy's tale.

    ReplyDelete
  2. “Until lions have their historians, tales of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter”

    Here, at least the lions have their literary critics.

    ReplyDelete