Tuesday, September 1, 2009

October 9, 1951: Gag

Peanuts

Some people complain about cloying sentiment in Peanuts, and it is true that there is some of that at times. This strip is proof.

However, I find that most of the people who complain about it haven't really been exposed to much of the strip. For every saccharine "Happiness Is A Warm Puppy" there are a hundred "Lucy Demolishes Charlie Brown Utterly, Destroying His Soul Like Some Demon Girl." For giving us all of those, I think I can excuse the occasional spoonful of sugar.

2 comments:

  1. Since you mentioned that Schulz was proud of his careful work on the music notation, it'd be interesting if a musician chimed in to let us know if that is a well-known tune. I plucked it out on my keyboard, but didn't recognize it immediately.

    It can be Roasted Peanuts Name-that-Tune!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HARK THE HERALD ANGELS SIIIIIIIIIIING

    ReplyDelete