Sunday, March 20, 2011

November 23 & 28, December 31 1953: Sleepy Snoopy

November 23, 1953:
 November 28, 1953:
December 31, 1953:

I'm taking a couple of these out of order to collect some thematically similar strips.  All have to do with a sleeping Snoopy and all have to do with sight gags.

The first strip is another early thought balloon strip, and one that uses the standard tail on the balloon, too!  Schulz seems like he's finally decided to settle on this convention.

In the second strip, is that an indoor bed for Snoopy?  It would seem that would fix him as Charlie Brown's dog, but I don't think we can absolutely say that until a character states it explicitly.

The third strip is one that Schulz would come back to later, and is visually inventive in how it uses the size of the 'Z' to represent the loudness of Snoopy's snoring.  (It's also one of the earliest, though not the first I think, of a large serif 'Z' to represent sleep, which is a very Peanuts convention.)

1 comment:

  1. My wife and I have dogs and I use the line from the 11/28 strip all the time when we want the (inevitably sleeping) puplets to come to bed with us.

    ReplyDelete